γειά σου! (Hello in Greek )
I’m usually the one leaving. I’m usually the one saying
goodbye. I’m the one who leaves everyone behind. I’m the one who cries. I’m the
one who’s speechless. I’m the one who gets in the car and drives away with my family
spraying water behind me.
Not today. Not now. Not at 5:30am. I’m not the one leaving
and saying goodbye. I’m not the speechless who gets in the car and drives away
with family spraying water behind me. No. not now. Not today.
We were at Bestoon Samad sitting laughing and screaming at
the restaurant TV which was showing Iraq vs. Morocco. “hiy shditsawy??? Laaaaa!
Dee rooh hichy!!” what are you doing??? Nooooo! Go this way!!” as the reporter
screams goooooalll for Morocco! No, no, no!!
| Bestoon Samad - A Kurdish restaurant in Baghdad |
| Beautiful Paintings |
| The bread was AMAZING! I think I ate a whole piece! |
| Me and my Auntie shared Cordon Blue and we still had leftovers! It was great :) |
| My Chai |
Its okay, Iraq will recover. We will win. Less than five
minutes later, “Goooooooallllll!!! For Morocco!!” “de sed il telvevion!” close
the television already!” my uncle tells the waiter in a joking matter.
We laugh and eat and take our time with the night, wishing it
never ended. At the back of my mind, at the back of all our minds, there is a
clock ticking. Threatening our night.
I knew I was going to miss my uncle when he leaves the
moment he arrived. After an hour, I knew I was going to miss his humour. After a
day, I knew I was going to miss his long walks and conversations. After a week,
I knew I was going to miss his cooking. After a month I knew I was going to
miss him.
I didn’t sleep today. I didn’t close my eyes. I didn’t even
try. He might leave without saying goodbye. 3:30am, I look at the clock. It’s
getting late; I should put my head on the pillow. No! not now! You have to say
bye.
You’re being stupid, Sara. It’s 4:30am and you’re eyes are
starting to drip of tears. Stop it! He misses his family; his wife and children
god bless ‘em. His boys; he raised them up to be men; standing strong and firm
with a future. Don’t forget his princess; beauty is among her eyes and smile. A
prettier girl you have not seen, a prettier eccentricity you have not met. I must
tell you of his queen, a polite and pleasant wife. I love this queen, so spiritual
and dutiful I have not seen. I wish to this family all the love and hope and
wealth and beauty and peace and courage and for all their wishes to come true. And
this is truly what I believe. Why don’t you pray with me?
Wow. Its 5:00am and it’s nearly time. But what is that
sound? Could it be? He’s already awake? I have to see.
“Hello” I smile to him.
“What are you doing up?” he says
“I didn’t sleep; do you want me to help you with something?”
“No, thank you 3any.”
My other uncle arrives with his car; he cut his sleep to
take him to the airport. He’s so kind; he takes us everywhere, even if it’s in
the middle of the night.
I go and make the fastest tea in the world and I add hale
and I bring it to the boil and I serve two stikinat for them. I wanted to ask
them how my chai was, but I was too shy. Why didn’t I ask? It’s too late now. He’s
in the car.
My mum kissed him goodbye. My grandma kissed him goodbye. My
auntie kissed him goodbye. I’m last to kiss him goodbye. I’m always last. I never
want to be first because I don’t want people to rush me. I have to say goodbye
properly. I don’t want it to be short. I don’t want it to be too long. I want
it to be at my own pace.
I don’t remember what happens next, even though it just
happened. It’s too fast, the way he left the house. But my goodbye was just
right. We spry the car with water behind them, and it’s over.
Goodbye my dear uncle. I’ll see you soon, inshallah. It’s
off to your family now! I know they miss you just as we do now. :)
The song at the TOP is a song originaly by Frank Ocean. Anything Frank Ocean is great. This is a cover by Andrew Garcia & Daniel De Bourg.
http://www.andrewagarcia.tumblr.com
http://www.twitter.com/andrewagarcia
http://www.facebook.com/realandrewgarcia
http://www.twitter.com/ddbmusic
http://www.youtube.com/danieldb13
Beat Produced by Gary David Bogosian http://www.twitter.com/GaryDavid401
http://www.twitter.com/andrewagarcia
http://www.facebook.com/realandrewgarcia
http://www.twitter.com/ddbmusic
http://www.youtube.com/danieldb13
Beat Produced by Gary David Bogosian http://www.twitter.com/GaryDavid401
..sincere
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
Deletesara,
ReplyDeleteits family that i miss the most when away from iraq! Inshallah you'll see them all soon in happiness
Inshallah :)
Delete