Monday, July 9, 2012

Let's Talk About Crack in the Walls

হ্যালো (Hello in Bengali)



Why do you like Iraq so much, Sara? What makes Iraq so good? Even in modern day 2012, there are bombs nearly every day. There is no electricity almost every hour of the day. No electricity means no water. No water means no everything else. The walls of your room are falling apart and you are reminded of destruction every time you lay your head on the pillow to sleep; the cracks in the walls, which remind you that you aren’t safe. Reminding you that the aftermath of the war is like a slow death to the tomb, more painful than the actual battle. So why do you like it here, Sara? Everybody is telling you to go back to where you were, out of harm's way, out of Iraq, away over to the other side.
I wrote this to explain the true reason to why I want to stay in Iraq.

Cracks in the room that I sleep in. I writing these words here.

Cracks from the war(s)

To Iraq, if you’ll listen,
I belong here. The blood that is running through my veins is Iraqi. The way I act, the way I eat, the way I love chai and dolma and tooki is 100% Iraqi. Doesn’t matter where ever in the whole world I’ve been, no matter which language I speak, how I see things, I will always be Iraqi with an Iraqi face, Iraqi hair, Iraqi eyes and Iraqi smile. Of course I am also fortunate to pick up accents from other countries. Traveling made me the person I am today. But let's talk about my root for now.

I have ideas for the future, I want to share them with you and I want you to take it all in. But you’re not ready, yet.

I want to stay here to learn about Iraq and the people first hand, about their sufferings about their victories about everyday life. I know a lot of Iraqi people don’t want to listen to someone who was in the 5arij (outside Iraq)  and who comes back and says “I can help”, because I haven’t gone through the same as you, I didn’t suffer as you have done so, then why should I say, “I know how you feel”? Because obviously I didn’t go through the war with you.

 I didn’t curl under the covers at night as five bombs crash into my backyard every single day. I haven’t seen what you have seen. No. But my family has. I lived those days with you, believe me. We would sit in the cold room of our rented house because that is the only room with reception, and we would finish five calling cards just to reach my family here in Iraq.
 Is it over? Is Iraq gone? Are they ok? Just tell me, for God’s sake, are they OK? I want to hear their voice. I was 8 years old when the war broke out. I swear to you, every single day, the bus would drop me off from school and I would come running home to mum and ask the same question every time 

“Mama Noria ejaty?” Is Mama Noria here?”  I kept asking mum the same question until I knew what the answer was going to be each time: “no”. Mama Noria is my grandma. I still call her that. 

I have a fire inside me wanting to change the way people think. But can I? The answer is: will you please listen? 


The cover on the top is by the Beautiful Kayla Stewart. I very much incourage you to have a look at her YouTube Channel.


She's really great plus she's only 15 :) My age.